Building an email list is one of the most important steps for expanding fan base and launching your music into the limelight - trust us when we say that it's totally worth the effort. It can be intimidating at first but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature! In this blog post, we'll walk you through how to build an email list from scratch so that you can grow your following in no time. Let's do this!
Why Musicians Need Email Marketing?
Email marketing might sound like a chore at first, but trust us, it's totally worth the effort. Building an email list can help connect with your fans in a more meaningful way and even make them feel like they’re part of your squad. This form of digital outreach is key to growing your fan base and launching your music into the limelight.
Best Email Marketing Platforms for Musicians
An email marketing platform lets you create personalized emails that are tailored to your audience’s interests, increasing the likelihood of them engaging with your content. You can easily design beautiful emails with attractive graphics, layout, and typography, or even customize the look of each email with your own branding.
How Your Build an Email List
Building your email list is the key to your growth and to be honest - its not has hard as you think. Here is what you need:
- Lead Magnet: This is a free offer like a free song, or free mixtape. People interested in your free offer will download in exchange for their email address.
- Newletter: Ask for email address in exchange for weekly content about your new music or release dates. A newsletter works best if you already have a fanbase. If not, give away a lead magnet in exachange for emails.
Use Social Media To Collect Email Addresses
Musicians know that having a good presence on social media is key to promoting their music, interacting with fans and luring in new listeners. And an effective strategy across multiple platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram etc can open all sorts of exciting doors within the industry.
But it doesn’t stop there - collecting emails from your followers is an important part too – so make sure you have techniques in place to get them signed up!
- Add a Sign up button - Drive traffic and grow your email list with Facebook's "Sign Up" call-to-action button. With just one click, you're closer to reaching more potential customers!
- Make Facebook Ads to Generate Leads - Want high-quality leads? Score a slam dunk with an unstoppable Facebook Ad! Reach your ideal demographic, and get the right message to 'em. Click here for more information
Start Podcast or Music Blog
Poscasts and music blogs have become super popular nowadays. Why? Here are the bets two benefits:
- Free promotion - Post tips/tricks on how you make music. Your podcast and/or music blog will get hundreds of daily visits and by including an email collection form, a large number of these people will sign up.
- Revenue stream - A podcast and/or music blog can be a cool way to earn extra money and monetize your music.
Email Marketing Do's & Dont's
Like any email, the golden rule is to keep them simple, concise, straight-to-the-point, and polite. Below are best practices:
- Segmant your lists - Segment your email list into different groups to send more relevant content
- Personalise your list - Personalize your email marketing messages with the recipient's name
- Make your emails attractive - Use images and videos to break up the text and make your emails more visually appealing
- Short and simple - Keep your message short and to the point - people are busy and won't read long emails
- Test everything - Test different subject lines to see which ones get the most opens
- Promote everyday - Send out regular newsletters to keep subscribers engaged. I email my list EVERYDAY. why? well if you wanna make sales EVERYDAY, you gotta promote EVERYDAY. its honestly that simple. I dont just sell to my list though because this will turn them off and annoy them. I send daily tips, tricks, techniques and sales - a mixture.
If you’re not using email marketing to connect with your fans, you’re missing out on a key opportunity to promote your brand and stay relevant in the music industry. Email marketing is an essential promotional strategy that will boost your music career--it’s time to make it part of your game plan. Not sure where to start? We can help.